Re: [SLE] UID changes in 9.1
  • From: Michael Satterwhite <michael@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:29:00 -0500

On Sunday 27 June 2004 17:37, doc wrote:
> Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> > Does anyone know a way to (a) change the UID of my existing user and (b)
> > globally change the UID of the files created by my user under 9.1. This
> > needs to be done selectively ... if the file is owned by UID 1000, then
> > it needs to be changed to UID 500.
> >
> > Anyone know how to do this?
>
> Just went through this.
>
> You need to make use of the chown command. I believe the following
> is a fair summary of how the command is properly formatted:
>
> chown -R username:groupname /home/username/filename or * for all

Sounds like this might be the reason God created the find command. <g>

Whoever in SuSE / Novell that had the bright idea of making this change
without warning us at the beginning of the installation process should be
nailed to a wall with a hawthorn stake through his heart. Or at least made to
work in Windows for the next 12 months as penance.

< Previous Next >