Re: [SLE] 9.1 is sloooooowwww
  • From: Fred Miller <fmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 23:40:21 -0400
On Friday June 25 2004 9:42 am, BandiPat wrote:

[snip]

> Sure, you could probably do that now Thom, if you want to preload
> everything into memory, like Windows does.  But then those poor blokes
> with only 128mb or even 256mb of ram are sure going to be doing a bit
> of swapping, huh?  ;o)
>
> If 3-4 seconds out of your day proves to be life threatening, then maybe
> using a computer is something you shouldn't do.  By the time you move
> the mouse pointer to start another app, the shell window is open!  Of
> course, there is always Opteron & SCSI drives!  :o)

You missed the point entirely! 9.1 IS slower than prior releases, and it of
course shouldn't be. I have a fresh install on my dual PIII 600Mhz IBM
Intelistation (SCSI) with 1G of RAM. It's SLOW.

Fred

--
"Ballmer is no more designed for the art of persuasion
than the Abrams tank is for delivering meals on wheels."