Re: [SLE] routing between subnets
  • From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 02:18:51 +0000
Quoting Henry Harpending <harpend@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On Sunday 20 June 2004 18:13, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
Hi Henry.

Here are the results of what you suggest, from the server;

#cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

So the server is forwarding packets.

#netstat -rn
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface UG 0 0 0 eth0 U 0 0 0 wlan0 U 0 0 0 eth0 U 0 0 0 lo UG 0 0 0 wlan0
traceroute to (, 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 1.748 ms 1.779 ms 1.777 ms

Try the traceroute from one of the stations so that we can see what's going on
with the routing. If you could put a station on the switch and do a traceroute
on the other way, would also help.
BTW, did you remember to configure the default gateway of the PRINTERS as the
server? If not, that's your problem! Packets go from the stations to the
printers, but don't return!

I can't see anything wrong here but I really don't know what I am doing. BTW
does anyone know what is?

Isn't it the IP class that Microsoft uses to automatically assign IP addresses
to stations connected to a network without DHCP servers?

Thanks, Henry Harpending

Also check the archives at

Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
Network Manager and Systems Administrator
Angra do Heroísmo Nursing School (ESEnfAH)