Re: [SLE] New kernel - DON'T update!
  • From: Jason <jglane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 08:21:11 +0100
On Friday 18 June 2004 07:50, John Andersen wrote:
> Locks up while killing WHAT proceesses?
> Locks up HOW? Keyboard lights flashing?
No flashing lights, no panic. My machine locks up solid on shutdown on
"Sending all processes TERM signal...". I've looked in /var/log/messages --
no clues there just a gap in time until the next boot. Also happens when
doing "init S".

> There are several known acpi modules that should never be rmmod'ed
> and if you do rmmod them the system hangs (kernel panic, flashing lights,
> etc). SuSE provides for this in yast2.

I don't think it's ACPI. No ACPI modules are removed -- the setting
POWERSAVE_ACPI_MODULES_NOT_TO_UNLOAD is the same as POWERSAVE_ACPI_MODULES --
I've not changed any settings -- just applied the update from YOU.

I also downloaded the KOTD, just in case it was a bad patch, but that exhibits
the same problem. Boots up OK, and seems to run OK. But locks up on
shutdown.

Revert back to 2.5.4-54.5 and everything is fine -- apart from the security
bug, of course :-( but I think there's a greater risk from not umounting the
filesystems when I shut the machine down at the end of the day...

Any clues how I can diagnose this?

Jason