Re: [SLE] [SOLVED] [SLE] SuSE 9.1 problem - can't use/find DVD
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:53:14 -0400
On Tuesday 15 June 2004 09:06 am, Mike Pelley wrote:
> Folks - I finany have my DVD-ROM working. I boot from the GRUB
> bootloader from my SuSE 9.0 installation. When I installed 9.1, I
> didn't install the bootloader, but cloned the SuSE 9.0 menu item in
> GRUB. For some reason, that didn't work!
>
> Anyway, I removed the following from the kernel line:
> hdc=ide-scsi hdclun=0
> and when I rebooted SuSE 9.1 found the DVD-ROM and everything is working
> fine.
>
> Now, the question is why didn't the cloning work? It seems logical to
> me that it would, but I was obviously wrong. Can anyone tell me the
> error of my ways? ;=)

I don't really know what you mean by 'cloning' the menu item, other than you
copied what was in your 9.0 menu list over to the 9.1 menu list.... along
with all of the kernel parms from 9.0

Not a good idea. The scsi parm for IDE drives is no longer needed with the
2.6.x kernels.

> Cheers,
> Mike
>
> Mike Pelley wrote:
> > I've just rebooted into SuSE 9.0 (and Fedora Core 2) and both devices
> > work. It seems like the hardware detection isn't working correctly in
> > SuSE 9.1 . Under SuSE 9.1 I get the following assignments:
> >
> > DVD-RW uses /dev/hda with /dev/dvdrom as a symlink
> > DVD-ROM uses /dev/sr0 with /dev/dvd as the symlink
> >
> > How do I go about manually configuring SuSE 9.1 to use /dev/sr0?
> > Something with mkdev?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mike
> >
> > BandiPat wrote:

> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Did you check the jumpers on the drives? One should be master, the
> >> other slave, do not use cable select on these!
> >>
> >> Lee

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 06/15/04 09:52 +
"There's at least one fool in every married couple."

< Previous Next >