RE: [SLE] SuSE Pro 9.1 - DNS and DHCP interaction - not quite
  • From: "Richard Mixon (qwest)" <rnmixon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 18:55:45 -0700
I spoke too fast in my reply (see below).

OK, I've done my research on DDSN. But everything I read about DDNS indicates its only purpose it to let folks on the internet get
to your home website (or other IP server) using a hostname, even if your IP address is assigned and renewed using DHCP (i.e. you do
not have a static IP address).

I thought maybe DDNS is also a more generic feature of DNS servers. I looked through the BIND9 README and FAQ. I do see the mention
of dynamic updates, an "allow-updates" parm and something called TSIG. Is that the feature I want?

THANKS again - Richard

all I find, is about pointing your home/office to a DDNS provider