Re: [SLE] win4lin and suse 9.1
  • From: "Matt T." <Matt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 23:01:31 +0700
On Tuesday 08 June 2004 21:50, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 June 2004 04:00, Basil Chupin wrote:
> > The point here is: if it becomes necessary to boot with a second linux
> > kernel in order to be able to use Win4Lin then Win4Lin have shot
> > themselves in the foot because it is much easier to simply boot into a
> > system running Windows. Right?
>
> Actually, the idea is to use the Win4Lin enabled kernel as the kernel you
> normally use. Then there's no need to reboot at all when you run the
> package.

Yes, yes, that is what I have done all the time, and I was quite happy with
it. Win4Lin is a great product, allowing me to fire up (which happens less
and less) a windose app without having to reboot.

The big question for me is now if that can still be done with SuSE 9.1 without
loosing functionality (as the win4lin kernel is a generic 2.6.x one and not
the modified SuSE 2.6.x kernel).

To quote myself:
>>My question now is: What will not work anymore / what will I be missing if I
>>replace my SuSE kernel with the win4lin generic 2.6.x kernel?

>>I can't imagine that SuSE does all that work to customize the kernel and
then
>>it will be the same to use the generic one.

Does anyone know more about that?

Thanks,
Matt

< Previous Next >