Re: [SLE] HowTo connect dhcpd and dhcp-client
  • From: Ulrich Leopold <uleopold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 07 Jun 2004 11:26:35 +0200
On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 09:59, Leendert Meyer wrote:
> On Monday 07 June 2004 08:29, Ulrich Leopold wrote:

> > > No, ;) the dhcp server sends a reply with those data. The question is if
> > > that package is received by the client. dhcp-dump on the client would
> > > reveil that.
> >
> > The dhcp-dump for the client never showed anything.
>
> Sorry, my question was stupid. dhcp-dump does not run when the network is
> down. ;)
>
> > > BTW, can you setup a static ip# on the client?
>
> > When I log in from the client on the server via ssh it works with a
> > static ip#. But nothing else.
>
> Not even ping? Ping host -> client, ping client -> host?

ping works in both ways.

> > Do I have to configure the firewalls on both machines differently for dhcp?
>
> Perhaps turn the firewalls of during testing. If all works well, you can turn
> them on. If consequently something breaks, you know it's the firewall. ;) You
> probably need the firewall later to reach the WWW, because of its
> masquerading/NATting.
nothing changes with firewall off. Pinging works but (of course ?) no internet connection because of ip forwarding.
But also without ip forwarding it oes not work.

> > On the server it does IP forwarding and masquerading and allows ssh and
>
> As your dhcp server also serves as a router, you have to turn on IP forwarding
> in /etc/sysconfig/sysctl:
> IP_FORWARD="yes"
is turned on

> cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward should output a single '1'. If not, set it
> manually with:

returns '1'

> echo '1' > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

> If you have put the firewall down on the host, then check this.
>
> > On the client I use the setings I always use to get internet
> > connections. It's a laptop and has been connected to various networks
> > with this configuration. So I guess I still make a mistake on the
> > server, right?
>
> AFAICS: Right.
>
> Well, that is, unless you hand out your ip# conditionally, in which case the
> client has to fullfill a certain condition (e.g. send a client-id). But you
> hand them out unconditionally, so no worries about that.
Now I do not know what is wrong?

Ping works with static address and dynamic address. ssh works also with
both. Internet connection does not work. Do I have to configure tcp/ip
transfer on the dhcp-server in a special way? Maybe the router
configuration is wrong? If I turn off firewall what else should I turn
off? IP forwarding on router?

So basically the internet connection is not working.

> BTW, no need to CC me, I'm on the list. ;)
sorry, was too sleepy this morning. Realised too late when I had hit the send already.
;-).

Cheers, Ulrich