Re: [SLE] SLES vs SL Pro
  • From: Hartmut Meyer <hartmut.meyer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 19:44:35 +0200
Hi,

On Sunday 06 June 2004 17:36, Preston Crawford wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-06-05 at 23:15, Steve Reynolds wrote:
> > On Sunday 06 June 2004 13:48, C Hamel wrote:
> > > The short answer is... don't waste your time w/the Personal version.
> > > Get Pro. I got Personal twice, was disappointed (didn't learn the
> > > first time... <G>).
> >
> > Of course that depends on what you use your machines for. For example, if
> > you only use your machines at home or in an office as personal
> > workstations, then 9.1 Personal is perfectly adequate. If you want to
> > network your machines, you will need to download nfs-server from an FTP
> > site, but that's hardly onerous.
> >
> > I think SuSE got the versions right, and I think the Personal version is
> > very good as long as you are happy using KDE.
>
> Yeah. If you have a machine that's never ever going to need anything
> other than QT-based binaries on it, go with Personal. Otherwise, go with
> Pro.

I'm afraid you all missed the point: the original poster wasn't asking about
Personal vs. Professional but rather about SLES (SUSE LINUX Enterprise
Server) vs. SUSE LINUX Professional.

In other words he wanted to know what the differences (specifically in
comparing the code basis) between the home user and the enterprise products
are.

To answer this (only shortly): the important aspects are not (so much) the
differences in the code basis but the differences in the way these products
are maintained over the live cycle of the product.

The business products are promising certification to a variety of 3rd party
applications such as Oracle, DB2 or SAP. During the 5 years live cycle (home
user product in comparison only has 2 years live cycle) those certifications
will be kept with the necessary updates. The home user version *might* work
with a given 3rd party application. And then it might not. It will not be
certified or tested by 3rd party partners before release. Any update during
the livecycle of the home user product *might* break something with respect
to 3rd party apps since it will not be tested against them. And if this
happens, we won't care ;-)

Greetings from Bremen
hartmut
< Previous Next >