Re: [SLE] SLES vs SL Pro
  • From: Preston Crawford <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 08:36:14 -0700
On Sat, 2004-06-05 at 23:15, Steve Reynolds wrote:
> On Sunday 06 June 2004 13:48, C Hamel wrote:
> > The short answer is... don't waste your time w/the Personal version. Get
> > Pro. I got Personal twice, was disappointed (didn't learn the first
> > time... <G>).
>
> Of course that depends on what you use your machines for. For example, if you
> only use your machines at home or in an office as personal workstations, then
> 9.1 Personal is perfectly adequate. If you want to network your machines, you
> will need to download nfs-server from an FTP site, but that's hardly onerous.
>
> I think SuSE got the versions right, and I think the Personal version is very
> good as long as you are happy using KDE.

Yeah. If you have a machine that's never ever going to need anything
other than QT-based binaries on it, go with Personal. Otherwise, go with
Pro. I've done the personal thing once. It was a disaster. I couldn't
install anything from source, of course, and then just imagine the
process of downloading every devel library, compiler, etc. required to
do a compilation of something as simple as lame. Not worth the trouble,
in my book. With Pro I have everything on one DVD and THEN when I've
installed I take and copy that DVD onto my hard drive, something like
/opt/SuSEDVD/ and then change my install sources and then I never have
to pop in a DVD or CD ever again, much less monkey around with trying to
find the right libraries that should have been included later. I say buy
Pro and then just buy it less often. I'd rather buy Pro and stick with
it for a year and a half (the typical time it would take to buy say 3
different versions of Personal) than to keep buying Personal.

Preston