Re: [SLE] Perhaps I've found a reason why so many people are having problems with SuSE 9.1?
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 22:23:51 -0800
On Tuesday 01 June 2004 05:13, David Johanson wrote:
> > No USB issues in my install of 9.1
>
> So here is an example of your install working and two of mine not only
> having serious USB issues, but problems recognizing the ide zip drives and

Have you seen this item?
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/01/USB_2_0.html
I know of one instance where loading the ehci_hcd driver
instantly fixed a problem connecting to a camera with USB.

The funny thing: It was a usb 1.1 machine, not USB 2.0 as
mentioned in the knowledgebase article.

> printing issues as well. This doesn't mean it's a bad product, but 9.1 is
> giving me fits in many areas in which 7.1, which I'm still running, 7.2,
> 7.3. 8.0. 8.1. 8.2 and 9.0 did not. This would suggest that it IS
> PROBLEMATIC but not necessarily so

OTOH: I have all sorts of things working out of the box in 9.1 that
cost me weeks of struggle in 8.0 and 8.1, and NEVER worked at
all in 7.2 or 7.3.

8.2 was the cleanest and sweetest SuSE of all time (IMHO) and
even there I had to hunt around trying to get certain things to
work. 9.1, in my test installs has been easier.
I'm going to put it on my Sony Vaio when I get the chance, soon.

--
John Andersen

< Previous Next >