Re: [SLE] lost GRUB
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 01:07:06 +1000
Stephen W wrote:
The problems continue to increase in number.

On a previous post I noted I was unable to get SuSE8.2
to partition a 160GB HD. Fiddled wth that enough so
decided to put all the old HD back it and run the old
system.

Well, now I cannot even boot that system. GRUB error!!!

I did not make a rescue disk ... Am I up that
proverbial polluted tributary?

PS. I was able to get RedHat 9 to recognize and
install on that 160 HD. That is how I am able to send
this... Any ideas on how to resurrect the old SuSE
system? (Which includes 2 HDs of old Win stuff, not
to mention 6 months of learning SuSE on one of the
drives.)

Thanks

Insert your Suse first CD, or DVD, and start the install process but when you get to the (?)first menu select Boot Existing System. Unless something very bad had happened to the setup it will now start your existng installation. When you are in it go to YaST/System/Bootloader and (at this point I have to leave it up to you to find the correct option 'cause I forgot what it is! :-) ) execute the option which will rewrite the grub info to the mbr. If you have the manual(s) for Suse this procedure is mentioned there.

Cheers.