Re: [SLE] Fwd: 9.1 LiveCD hangs in VMWare
  • From: Ian Schorr <mailinglists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 08:45:05 -0700
...For the same reasons that ANYone would want to run ANY operating system under
VMware or Virtual PC, perhaps?

In this case I need to use Windows as my primary OS. I like to tinker and
experiment with Linux. I like to do a little dev work with Linux. Sometimes I
need to do some testing/problem recreation for work with Linux. I'm not about
to carry around multiple laptops with me. But it's ridiculous for me to have
to keep rebooting repeatedly into various OSes. It just interrupts my work
flow too dramatically. VMWare allows me to simply run both simultaneously, and
(usually) very seamlessly.

It also gives me a lot of flexibility. I can easily have SuSE 9.0, Redhat 8,
Fedora Core 1, BSD, Solaris, Win98, etc machines available to me to test with.
I can build a "basic" set of HD images that I can share with my co-workers. I
can quickly mount ISOs (like the LiveCD) for booting.

If I'm about to make a major change to the system I can take a Hard Drive
snapshot prior to making the change. If I wish, I can revert back to the
snapshot version of the virtual hard drive to back-out all changes made since
the snapshot. Or I can make the snapshot the jump-off point for a lot of other
virtual instances of the HD. I could go on-and-on.

VMWare and Connectix (now Microsoft) do sell quite a few of these "Virtual PC"
things, people must be using them for SOMEthing...

Ian