Re: Re: [SLE] AGAINST PERL & PHP
  • From: Enrique Arizón <e_arizon_benito@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 19:59:16 +0200 (CEST)
First at all I want to excuse myself if someone felt
offended because of my opinion about Perl. I never
thought people were so sensitive about this issue,
more on when even Larry Wall, Perl creator, has been
the first one to critic the language
(http://dev.perl.org/perl6/) . As anyone can imagine
whatever I post in this list is my own opinion based
in my own experience, and as you can imagine whatever
I say is not an order for anyone.

Second, about whether this issue was or not
appropiate to the list I think it is, since obviosly
the avility of linux to use scripting languages is one
of the greatest advantages it has over Windows and
"expert" users will take advantage of it. Even
Microsoft recognised this fact and they worked in
their own windows scripting technology that now comes
with any new Windows. Good scripting languages not
just help system administrator but can be used to
replace common office task with easy. Particularly I
find much more easy and fast to use Python than an
Spread sheet as OpenCalc, Gnumeric or Excel in a lot
of circumstances. My previous post on Simpy clearly
probes it.

Third I don't wan't to make religion with Python. Is
just that I have experience with both Perl and Python
so I post comparing both too in my own experience. I
can't say about Ruby or others just because I don't
know enough about them.