Re: Fw: [SLE] ReiserFS problem?
  • From: "S.R.Glasoe" <srglasoe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 08:27:18 -0500
On Thursday 29 April 2004 11:01 pm, John Andersen wrote:
> > I was having similar problems and it turned out to be an overloaded/old
> > power supply. After replacing the PS all filesystem problems
> > disappeared.
> >
> > If you have an older PC and have added newer larger hard drives, they
> > will use more power and add more strain to the older PS. Also adding
> > more devices over the years will add to the strain.
>
> That just doesn't make sense.
> Newer drives use LESS power than the original drives.
>
> John

Depends. If you compare like sizes and speeds then maybe the newer drive uses
less power. If you upgrade to a larger capacity and/or faster speed then it
probably uses more power than what it replaced.

Power supplies tend to lose their vigor over time. Adding additional devices
to them over the years may cause problems. Weak power masquerades as all
kinds of symptoms that can be very misleading and difficult to troubleshoot.

Stan