Fw: [SLE] ReiserFS problem?
  • From: "Ejnar Z. Rath" <ezr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:10:27 +0200

Brad Bendily <brad@xxxxxxxx> wrote on 28-04-2004 17:30:41:
> I have recently setup Suse 9.0 on a machine and configured
> it to be used as a Kiosk station.
> I used ReiserFS as the file systems on my 3 partitions I
> created. Since I've the machine up we have had two power outages.
> The problem is that when the machine starts up again the
> file systems don't get mounted and I get brought to the
> root login prompt and get asked to login and run
> fsck (or reiserfsck). And it trys to replay journals and
> do all that stuff. The first time it happened I recovered
> and it all worked. Today when it happened it wiped out my
> /home partition and everything was lost. Mostly.
>
> I have my work desktop setup with ext3 partitions and the
> same power outage didn't affect this box.
>
> I thought ReiserFS should be able to handle the instant
> reboots. Should I convert the kiosk PC to ext3? Or am I
> missing something in my ReiserFS setup?
I'm having very similar problems resulting in my filesystems
containing /var and /home being corrupted several times - very
disappointing.

Making an "reiserfsck --rebuild-tree" gives me
most of the file systems back but I always end up with a
bunch of files in lost+found and some really lost files.

I'm using SuSE 9.0, kernel 2.4.21-202-default. The file systems
are created on volumes of lvm-1.0.7-105, and the file systems
use reiserfs-3.6.9-33. On an IBM T40 thinkpad which of course
shouldn't matter.

Any hint would be highly appreciated.

> Brad B-- CLE

Regards,