Re: [SLE] Bat files in Linux
  • From: Kenneth Schneider <suselist@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:07:28 -0400
On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 09:51, Steve Reynolds wrote:
> I have a few commands that I would like to run at the command prompt.
> In Windows I do this with a bat file that looks like the sample below. How do
> I do a similar thing with Linux?
> For those not familiar with windows bat files the snippet below presents the
> user with a menu at the command prompt.
> In windows I have a shortcut to a text file called backup.bat, when I double
> click that shortcut I launch a DOS window with the menu below already loaded
> for the user. I would like to do a similar thing with Linux.
> <begin bat file snippet>
> <snip>
> <end bat file snippet>

In the *nix world they are called shell scripts and are made executable
by their permissions, they require the executable bit be set as in
rwxr_xr_x (755). Do a man page on whatever your flavor of shell you use
for info on what is available for shell commands. You can always call
external programs as well.

Ken Schneider
unix user since 1989
linux user since 1994