Re: [SLE] Bat files in Linux
  • From: Kenneth Schneider <suselist@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:07:28 -0400
On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 09:51, Steve Reynolds wrote:
> I have a few commands that I would like to run at the command prompt.
>
> In Windows I do this with a bat file that looks like the sample below. How do
> I do a similar thing with Linux?
>
> For those not familiar with windows bat files the snippet below presents the
> user with a menu at the command prompt.
>
> In windows I have a shortcut to a text file called backup.bat, when I double
> click that shortcut I launch a DOS window with the menu below already loaded
> for the user. I would like to do a similar thing with Linux.
>
> <begin bat file snippet>
>
> <snip>
>
> <end bat file snippet>

In the *nix world they are called shell scripts and are made executable
by their permissions, they require the executable bit be set as in
rwxr_xr_x (755). Do a man page on whatever your flavor of shell you use
for info on what is available for shell commands. You can always call
external programs as well.

--
Ken Schneider
unix user since 1989