Re: [SLE] Bat files in Linux
  • From: expatriate <lbox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:03:15 +0100

Steve Reynolds wrote:

I have a few commands that I would like to run at the command prompt.

In Windows I do this with a bat file that looks like the sample below. How do I do a similar thing with Linux?
<SNIP>

A windows BAT file is a rudimentary subset of a shell script. I don't know if there are any linux utilities to execute a windows bat file but the first thing I'd do is to learn the bash shell and rewrite the BAT file into a bash shell script. There's megatons of information on the web on how to write bash (or C, Bourne, Korn etc) shell scripts. Bash is the default Linux shell.
I use the O'Reilly book "Learning the bash Shell" personally.