Re: [SLE] Hardware testing
  • From: Leen de Braal <ldb@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 20:49:58 +0200
At 15:57 26-4-2004 +0200, spx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,

I have 2 workstations with identical hardware running the same setup with SuSE 9.0.

The one runs perfect, the other just switches off at random.

Just had one this past week, puzzling my hair out of my head.
Do run memtest86 thoroughly (overnight). Does it stop or reboot?
I found out that this was the cause on my PC:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/02/06/stolen_formula_torpedos_big_brand/

Replaced 4 elcaps on the mobo, problem solved. Mind you the article speaks about 2002, my experience is, that it already happens on mobo's from 1999-2000. This one was the second I have repaired for this.

Is there is hardware testing suite available for testing all the components and finding the cuprit?

I've used Memtest - and it does not seem to be memory.

Thanks

Nico