Re: [SLE] ID & Kill Endless Process?
  • From: "Neil Schneider" <pacneil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 01:34:13 -0700 (PDT)

doc said:
> When I boot my SuSE 9 Pro notebook I get a terminal window into which I
> must type "kde" to continue.
>
> That spawns a second terminal window (nothing need be entered there) and
> the pc just boots into the desktop normally.
>
> When I look at the first terminal window I see a process that runs
> continuously/repeatedly "checkForMedia(): error accessing /dev/hdc"
>
> When I shut down I have to come back to that window and type "exit"
> if I want to shut down the notebook.
>
> Per a suggestion I have run "top" to look at what is running but I am
> uncertain how to read the output.
>
> Question 1: What telltale sign in all of the processes "top" is showing
> would indicate the "check media" process?

Check for fam and automount. One or both are watching your cdrom, to see
if you put in a disk. Then they mount the disk to /media/cdrom. Check the
runlevel

--
Neil Schneider pacneil_at_linuxgeek_dot_net
http://www.paccomp.com

Fires can't be made with dead embers, nor can enthusiasm be stirred by
spiritless men. Enthusiasm in our daily work lightens effort and turns
even labor into pleasant tasks. --James Baldwin