Re: [SLE] serial ports
  • From: Louis Richards <louis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:54:19 -0400
expatriate wrote:

N1UAN Bob wrote:

Hi
I have an Siig 4 port serial expander here and was wondering if
anyone can tell me maybe the best way to get this card to see
com 3 and 4 without much trouble thanks for any info on how to
set this card up to work we are using 7.1
thanks
Bob

COM1-COM4 is Windows terminology. In the Linux world, the device driver would probably map the extra ports to something like /dev/ttySn. I briefly went to SIIG's website and found no Linux support, thus I assume that they do not have a driver module that would work on Linux.

You might check out another vendor (such as http://www.auroratech.com/ <http://www.auroratech.com/>) that does offer multiport PCI serial cards with Linux support.

This is from the "Linux Serial HowTo":

In general, Linux will support any serial board which uses a 8250, 16450, 16550, 16550A, 16650 (or compatible) UART, or an internal modem which emulates one of the above UARTs.

The HowTo also lists "SIIG I/O Expander 2S IO1812 (4 ports)" as a supported board, but I would imagine from the above statement that others would work as well.

This is also from the "Linux Serial HowTo" (might want to check this out at your local LDP mirror):

The devices your multiport board uses depends on what kind of board you have. Some of these are listed in detail in |rc.serial| or in |0setserial| which comes with the |setserial| package. I highly recommend getting the latest version of |setserial| if you are trying to use multiport boards. You will probably need to create these devices. Either use the |mknod| command, or the |MAKEDEV| script. Devices for multiport boards are made by adding ``64 + port number''. So, if you wanted to create devices for |ttyS17|, you would type:

linux# mknod -m 666 /dev/cua17 c 5 81
linux# mknod -m 666 /dev/ttyS17 c 4 81

Note that ``64 + 17 = 81''. Using the |MAKEDEV| script, you would type:

linux# cd /dev
linux# ./MAKEDEV ttyS17

Note: the SIIG manual for the IO1812 listing for COM5-COM8 is wrong. They should be COM5=0x250, COM6=0x258, COM7=0x260, and COM8=0x268.

--

Louis D. Richards
LDR Interactive Technologies