Re: [SLE] Gigabit (was: HowTos for a home LAN)
  • From: Örn Hansen <orn.hansen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:42:04 +0200
söndag 18 april 2004 22:55 skrev Anders Norrbring:

> > I poked around AMD64 motherboard with integrated gigabit and
> > found the following chips:
> >
> > RealTek RTL8110S
> > 3Com 3C940 Gigabit
> > Marvel Gigabit (ASUS K8V)
> >
> > Are they supported by SuSE 9.1 and what are their respective merit?
>
> I can only answer for the 3C940 chip (It's nominated as 3C2000 when it's a
> stand alone card) and it's got support for almost every O/S you can find.
> Look at www.3com.com and search for the 3C2000. Great card!

I'm currently using MSI K8T Neo motherboard, which has the RealTek RTL 8110S
installed. And I have re-installed SuSE 9.0, as 64bit. The card is working
fine, but I haven't put it under any load test, to find out what occurs under
heavy load. The driver for it, is a part of the kernel and goes under the
name of r8169, and is available both for 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.