Re: [SLE] Newbie Question - Adding Hard Drive.
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 01:52:28 +1000
Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
On 04/17/2004 10:39 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:

All I want you to do is to answer my question which is what problems are to be avoided by not putting a CDROM, or similar, on the same cable as a HD.

Since most CDROMs are not as fast as a HD, it will slow down the bus speed for both. Therefore it is suggested to put HD with other fast HD on the same bus, a slower HD on the sec. controller with the slower CDROM. This allows all to work at max speed. HTH.

The way I interpret a few technical papers I've read is that because of the technical characteristics of IDE it is not possible to read and write simultaneously on the same IDE cable/port. Putting 2 HDs on the same cable therefore gains absolutely nothing if one is transferring data between them - which is why I put my HDs as masters on the 2 IDE ports with the CDROMs/DVDRWs/CDRWs as slaves.

Cheers.