Re: [SLE] Complete Switch
  • From: Dylan <dylan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 12:52:40 +0100
On Saturday 17 Apr 2004 23:37 pm, Liam Marshall wrote:

> 1 Authentication from the server (NIS? maybe) How to doc would be
> nice

NIS will work out-of-the-box and is very reliable IME. The NIS HOWTO is
included in the installation media.

> 2 Home directories served up from the server, not each workstation.
> This is a biggie. With over 500 kids and the very real problem of
> them having to share the same 35 workstations, I do not want to have
> to have their files anywhere but on the server. With Samba and
> windows workstations this was easy. Authenticate and map the "homes"
> directories to a drive they could access on their workstations. Of
> course this "homes" directory in Samba was pointing to the equivelent
> Unix user's home directory on the server

This is very doable with NFS, but for 500 users I would suggest breaking
the exported home directories down into groups, probably cy class would
be most convenient. So on the server you would have:

/home/class1/user1
/home/class1/user2
:
/home/classn/user1
:

etc.

Then export the /home/classx directories. I would also consider using
autofs4 to automatically mount the relevant class directory on the
clients.

HTH

Dylan

--