Re: [SLE] HowTos for a home LAN
  • From: GarUlbricht7@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 00:12:03 -0400

-----<snip>---

> I would *not* plan on using any telephone wiring
> unless you want a) problems and b) a really slow network.
>
> Cat5 is pretty fussy stuff if you've ever made up your own cables.
> The wiring must be done in a specific manner
> or it's not going to cut it.

Bruce's comment is valid.

However, how a friend of mine got around the Cat5 termination
problem was he ran the Cat5 in wire mold using boxes with
"terminal plugs." He then bought 2 feet to 3 feet used Cat5 cables
(with male ends) which he used to go from the wall boxes to his
computers and router.

He did have to buy a $40 or so tool for attaching the Cat5 cable
to the female wall plugs but those terminations are relatively
easy to make. (Apprentice "electricians" usually do that work.)
(He could have bought a cheaper tool but ...)

His Cat5 cable then runs from rafter to rafter in his attic
and in crawl space under the house. (There is is just stabled.)

There are rules to prevent cross talk and noise. IIRC,
He told me that the Cat5 Cable needed to be kept a foot or so
away from any electric lines when they are in parallel
(They can cross at right angles.)

Hope this helps,
Gar

--

"The IETF motto is 'rough consensus and running code'"
-- Scott Bradner (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

  • No further messages