Re: [SLE] Asus A7N8X-E sound module?
  • From: Sid Boyce <sboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:15:09 +0100
Fred Miller wrote:

On Sunday 11 April 2004 9:32 am, Sid Boyce wrote:

Installed this new motherboard, but can't get 9.0 Pro to load the
correct sound modules. YaST doesn't seem to be able to handle the 2.6.x
kernels. The previous motherboard on which 9.0 was installed had a PCI
ens1371 card, whereas this one has on-board sound. I've tried
snd-ens1371, snd-intel8x0 and snd-via82xx, but all report Unknown
symbols. I've noticed that this board has 2 separate sound sections,
SPDIF and a normal one.

Sid, I admit to my dislike of Asus and have fought problems with their boards for a long time. The easiest and best way I've found, is to disable sound on the board and install a PCI sound card. Be greatfull you don't have more serious problems with it.

Fred

I'm beginning to see for the first time why you dislike Asus, with this board, I had a problem with the first XP2600+ which caused the fans to spin up and then it all died, the second one causes the CDROM and HD lights to lit, but it doesn't ouput any video, so I pressed into service an XP2200+ which works, so on Tuesday I have to take motherboard, memory and CPU back to the shop.
On google I found an article that pointed me to http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads, I downloaded and exploded linux_2.4.zip, there is a modules.conf file from which I got the details of what needed to be in /etc/modprobe.conf, after putting that stuff in and changing/deleting a few options, I have full audio using the snd-intel8x0 driver that is part of the 2.6.x kernels, I am on 2.6.5-mm4.

alias char-major-116 snd
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-11 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd-intel8x0 id="ICH"
Regards
Sid.

--
Sid Boyce .... Hamradio G3VBV and keen Flyer
Linux Only Shop.