Re: [SLE] Two network cards (dual-homed), two gateways?Desparatefor help
  • From: Louis Richards <louis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 10:17:02 -0400
Preston Crawford wrote:

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 01:49, Damon Jebb wrote:

<SNIP>
But I'm not routing between the networks. So I'm confused. I simply have
a computer that happens to be on two networks. Does that still make it
a router? And if so, what is the proper routing configuration to make
this work?
</SNIP>

That depends on whether machines on one network need to see machines on
the other. If they do then the machine that straddles the networks has
to be a router for the two networks, and incidentally the machines on
both networks will need to be able to talk to each other because the
communication is in effect a conversation. Do any machines that connect
to Samba via SSH need to see or access any other 10. network machines?

No. There is no communication between the 10 and 192 networks. That's
why I keep using the term "stradle". It's the best way I can think of to
describe this situation. This server serves out (via samba) files to two
different networks. But computers on each network never talk to
computers on the other network. And, in fact, they shouldn't. That's why
they're separate networks. The 10 network box should see the server (and
there is only 1) and the 192 boxes should see the server, but they
should never see each other. Hope that clears that up.

<snip>

interfaces = eth0 eth1
bind interfaces only = No

Try placing the above in your smb.conf file and restarting samba.

Also, make sure the samba server can ping any addresses in question.

The above is not realy secure as any address could then connect. Check out the man page for smb.conf and look at the hosts allow parameters to tighten this down after checking for an initial connection.

--

Louis D. Richards
LDR Interactive Technologies

< Previous Next >