Re: [SLE] release X.org X11R6.7.0
  • From: Fergus Wilde <fwilde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 13:44:45 +0100
On Thursday 08 April 2004 11:14, Vince Negri wrote:
> More generally, as I understand it Mandrake, Gentoo, Debian
> (and thus almost certainly all debian-based distros like Lindows)
> have all abandoned XFree86 (and are thus X.org bound) Not sure
> about Red Hat, but I would hardly be surprised if they also go
> to X.org. So the long-term health of XFree86 is in question
> unless they can come up with a new technology that offers a compelling
> reason for vendors to use XFree instead of X.org.

Yes, or unless they see the error of their ways and change the licence back.
The OpenBSD people had a good go at them, but it's not too late to address
your polite but forceful mails to the XFree86 project to try to get them to
remember the free part. The whole fork situation is a pity.

Best
Fergus

--
Fergus Wilde