RE: [SLE] Two network cards (dual-homed), two gateways? Desparatefor help
  • From: Preston Crawford <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 17:14:48 -0700
On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 09:47, Damon Jebb wrote:
> No, I'm saying that you need a default gateway that suits the needs of
> your clients and the server and this can be different for the clients
> and server, and different for the clients on each of the two networks.
> If clients on the 10. network need access to the 192. network then this
> machine is routing packets between the two networks. For clients on the
> 10. network set the default gateway to the IP address of the network
> card on the 10. network in the server. If the default gateway on the
> 192. network is a machine or device other than the server then you need
> to have both a default gateway and a route to the 10. network defined.
> But none of this is directly relevant to the server - as I said the
> default gateway defines how a machine will attempt to route packets for
> networks that it doesn't know anything about, a machine on the 192.
> network will send all non 192. network packets to the default gateway,
> unless it knows something better to do with them. The important thing
> about the server is to correctly configure it to route packets between
> the two networks that it is connected to - it is a router because it
> connects two different networks.

But I'm not routing between the networks. So I'm confused. I simply have
a computer that happens to be on two networks. Does that still make it
a router? And if so, what is the proper routing configuration to make
this work?

Now an update, though. I went back in to work on the computer. The
problem is pretty clear now.

- If there are no default gateways in the routing table neither the
samba share on the 10. network works, nor does SSH.

- If the default gateway in the routing table is the 10 network's
gateway (10.x.x.1) then the samba share works for the boxes on the 10
network, but SSH doesn't work.

- If the default gateway in the routing table is the 192 network's
gateway (192.168.0.1) then the samba share DOESN'T work for the boxes on
the 10 network, but SSH does work.

And by SSH working I mean this. Basically this computer (as described
earlier) is an internal machine. The reason it stradles two networks is
because it needs to share files (via samba) with computers on two
different networks. The 192 and the 10. Don't ask why. Anyway, how I see
it is that Samba should share to both fine, which it does if that above
condition about the gateway is met. So that's confusing. And SSH should
work fine, which it does if the other above condition is met.

The sticking point is this. The 10 network on the server is not like
DIRECTLY connected to the machine trying to get to the samba share. And
there's a little indirection on the SSH side, because we're trying to
get to SSH via a virtual server on our firewall (i.e. the firewall says
all SSH requests for me get passed onto this internal server). So I'm
guess that the fact that it's configured as described above, could
contribute to the problem I'm having. I just need to figure out the
proper routing configuration to enable both things (Samba over the 10
and SSH over the 192 through the firewall) to work at the same time.

Preston