RE: [SLE] Two network cards (dual-homed), two gateways? Desparate for help
  • From: "Damon Jebb" <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 12:11:00 +0100
The default gateway is a way of telling the system how to send packets
for networks that are not known about. The 10. and 192. networks are
both known about (on this server) and should therefore simply get the
packets sent to the right network card. By setting the default gateway
on this machine to 192.x.x.1 you are telling the machine that the
packets for any unknown network should be forwarded to this IP. Is this
what you want? Is the 192.x.x.1 really a gateway device (router or
another box setup as a router?) to which all packets for unknown
networks should be sent? Is this setting on the server or on the client
machines? The client machines on the 10.x.x.x network should use a
10.x.x.x IP as the gateway, not the 192.x.x.x unless they also have a
properly defined route to the 192 network as well.

Damon