re: [SLE] scsi tape loading problem DLT4500
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 21:47:02 -0400
> I hope someone can help me here, I have an AMD 1700+ running Suse 9.0
> professional. I boot of IDE drives, but I have a Adaptec 29160 Scsi
> card. The only thing connected is a Quantum DLT4500 5 slot mini dlt
> tape unit.
>
> I'm using mtx to control the device.
> mtx -f /dev/sg1 unload
> mtx -f /dev/sg1 status
> etc.
> All the commands work except for one:
> mtx -f /dev/sg1 load 3
> The tape loads and rewinds but sends back an error :;
> Destination Element 16 already full.
> and the scsi bus resets.
> I have posted in quite a few news groups but no success yet, changed
> cards, change lead, terminators etc.
> I can read and write to the tape drive no problem...
> Someone suggested that its the current build of the kernel and the
> re-complied a new one, but I got scared off at this.
> Any suggestions:
> Thanks
> Dean

Hi Dean,
I don't know if you've got the documentation already, but if you Google
for "dlt4000_dlt4500_dlt_7000_manual.pdf" (exactly as spelled here) you
should find a comprehensive manual for that library subsystem.

>From your short description, it seems that if you can read/write to the
integrated tape drive, itself, but are having problems with the library
functions, this could be something as simple as verifying the SCSI ID of
the robotics controller -- which (I think) is separate from the tape
drive controller.

HTH

- Carl
Dover Foxcroft, Maine, USA