Re: [SLE] What I like about Microsoft
  • From: Curtis Rey <crey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 16:21:21 -0700

On Tuesday 06 April 2004 13:28, Terence McCarthy wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 15:16:58 -0400
>
> Rich3800@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > What I like about Microsoft is that Microsoft is only a tempory
> > phenomenon, a business aberration, a bump-in-the-road. In a few years,
> > people will think back and laugh and say "Microsoft? What was Microsoft?"
> > people will be hard-pressed to even remember what Microsoft was and
> > meant.
>
> I have (respectfully) to disagree. Like hoover and biro, it will remain.
>
> As a noun:
>
> "He's a real microsoft" - arrogant, over-bearing, and a bit (lot)
> meglomaniacal.
>
> As a verb:
>
> "She's really microsofted that project" - (expletively) badly fsck-ed,
> late, but has a good gloss on it, as gloss is all that matters.
>
> And as no doubt many other parts of speech, either in addition to
> vocabulary:
>
> "This engine's well and truly microsoftly fsck-ed"
>
> or in replacement:
>
> "This microsofting microsofter microsofting microsofted"
>
> HTH
>
> Terence

Correct IMHO. M$ will not go away - it will become a case of mind over
matter. Most people won't mind because it won't matter - at least as much.

IF Linux wasn't doing so well why would Sun and M$ make nice? Perhaps because
they are both baffled and threatened by FOSS/Linux. Sun wants Solaris on
big iron because it means Big $$$ - it ain't gonna happen... Period. M$
wants to rule the world and could always bully or kill off the competition.
Grass roots movements such as FOSS isn't viral - it's foundational - and
hence the rub. You can't overtake and control standards by implementing
"quasi" standards - as is the case with M$ if no one decides to use the
products they are folded into. Kinda blows out the whole lock in angle out.
And therefore, end-users and corporates alike won't have to worry about
inter-op and functionality - Open standards means everyone can play and the
malcontents lose their niche and in M$' case their dominance.

Cheers, Curtis.

- --
Spammers Beware: Tresspassers will be shot,
survivors will be shot again!

Warning: Individuals throwing objects at
the crocodiles will be asked to retrieve
them!

If pro is the opposite of con, then the
opposite of progress must be congress!