Re: [SLE] Sending email via SMTP that is not current dial-up ISP
  • From: Gary <gv-dated-10949903.pcmbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 23:23:57 -0600
On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 10:52:27PM -0600 or thereabouts, Scott Jones wrote:

> On Saturday 03 April 2004 15:58, Gary wrote:

> > > That wouldn't work if you are trying to email certain ISPs (such as
> > > AOL) that block "dynamic IP ranges" of plenty of ISPs from sending
> > > mail direct to their customers.

> > yes it does work if you set your MTA, eg, postfix, sendmail, or qmail
> > to relay through his ISP's SMTP for those specific domains such as
> > aol.com, otherwise use his standard MTA to send for those not
> > listed... this is done in the smtp routing file of MTAs.

> It still wouldn't work in this case, as AT&T blocks outbound tcp/25.

agreed, the point is moot in this case, but the above may apply to others
whom do not use a dialup, and may still be blocked by AOL, etc unless
going through their ISP SMTP server.

> Regardless, the number of mail systems accepting connections from
> dynamic IPs is quickly shrinking (the system I admin, for one; using

yes, very true.

> the SORBS dynamic IP blocklist alone has cut the incoming flow of spam
> and viruses to my system by about 70%).

I currently block several dialup IP blocks in my own RBL, as well as those
servers I manage, but have not tried SORBS... will check that out..

--
Gary