SuSED 9.0, MySQL and YAST
  • From: Mark Seven Smith <pampaluz@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 23:53:58 -0800
I want to use MySQL, but I have never used anything like this before.

I even went out and bought a book called "MySQL Tutorial" (published just this
year).

The problem is, I cannot follow along with the HOWTO, nor the free MySQL book
at O'Reilly, nor my tutorial book, nor the main MySQL manual at
www.mysql.com, because SuSE 9.0 uses YAST to install and configure MySQL; and
none of the files are in the right place, and none of the scripts are where
they should be (if there are any scripts at all!) And if I try to follow
along with the instructions, nothing works out right, because of the YAST
problem.

I don't even understand what MySQL is supposed to look like when it is finally
up and running. I installed everything I could find in YAST (as per
someone's advice); and I also went into YAST's "System - Runlevel Editor" and
then Enabled MySQL. However, this didn't work; all I get now, is a message
when my machine boots, that says "starting mysql services failed" in red
text.

There is a socket error when I try to run any of the beginning commands that
they have you run in the book and in the manual (cannot connect to socket /
var/mysql/sock" something like that; I lost the message.

I have tried to find the answer on Google, but nobody seems to be using MySQl
with SuSE 9.0. Can anyone help? Is there anywhere that SuSE tells how to
make MySQl work under SuSE? What is different about the SuSE implementation
of MySQL from the "standard installation"?

Thanks,

--Mark Seven Smith
pampaluz (at) cox.net

--
"A warrior must love this world, in order for this world that seems
so commonplace to open up and show its wonders."