Re: Re: Page layout (was Re: OOo Pdf Creator)
  • From: John Pettigrew <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:23:35 +0100
In a previous message, BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sounds like you are looking for wordprocessing functions in a page layout
> program. They are not the same and shouldn't be mistaken for such.

Don't worry - I know that. But, as I said previously, some page-layout
programs also have good content-creation tools (i.e. also contain the tools of
a word processor), and this is the way I prefer to work if possible. Perhaps a
better way to phrase that is that my preferred page-layout app is also an
excellent word processor! (It's OvationPro, BTW, on RISC OS.)

> I mentioned the slowness you spoke of to the developers and they ask me if
> you were still using a 486 type PC! ;o)

AthlonXP 2200+, 512MB RAM. Which is why I'm rather surprised by the speed of
Scribus. Perhaps I should drop by the Scribus forum and explore this.

> If you are experiencing the amount of drag in the program you seem to be, I
> suspect there are some things not quite right in your system. Really,
> Scribus is not exhibiting that on my system or others on the list & IRC.
> Most were fairly amazed when I brought it up today.

Hmm. Nothing else shows this problem so there must be some specific
interaction going on.

> > Oh, and the other thing I couldn't find was wrap control (setting the
> > offset for wrapping round objects and also the wrap method [one side/both
> > sides/neither side etc.]). Have I missed this somewhere?
>
> It's there, wrap around a graphic or other object, offset spacing, etc. It's
> just you don't know the program well enough to fully use it yet.

Fair enough - although it isn't obvious for a new user (or me, at any rate,
and I've used quite a few page-layout progs over the years). Could you tell me
where it is?

> YMMV, of course, since you are not a daily user or layout person by trade.

Slight assumption on your part there - because I don't immediately get on with
Scribus, I'm not in the trade :-)

As it happens, I'm a copy editor by trade and, although layout isn't my main
job, I have done quite a bit over the years and know a fair bit about layout
and design. I'm not a daily user of Scribus; however, even though I'm not
hugely keen on some of how it's designed, it could be most useful if it would
work well on my system!

John
--
John Pettigrew Headstrong Games