Re: [SLE] Re: Re: SusE 9.1 Pro FREE??
  • From: Johan <yep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 19:34:22 +0200
Torsdag 01 april 2004 18:17 skrev Bob Pearson:
> On Thursday 01 April 2004 10:47 am, John Pettigrew wrote:
> > It's swings and roundabouts, and no doubt the decision is
> > made on commercial grounds (SUSE would rather you bought the CDs :-)
>
> My apologies if this should be moved to the OT group.
>
> SuSE is in the business of making money as you say. I have bought the last
> four Pro Editions for my only home computer. I believe they provide enough
> value added and are reasonably good at security patches that they deserve
> my dollars and I support what they are doing so I do so with my wallet.
>
> If I was being really good, I would buy the upgrade from SuSE as I assume
> they get more of the $$s for that than me buying the distribution from
> Amazon.
>
> My only criticism of SuSE is I think their non-installation support sucks
> but they don't get to charge for it so i understand. It is on par with all
> other vendors and not worse. I ** STILL ** think it is VERY broken that SLP
> 9.0 has core dumps disabled and SuSE hasn't addressed this issue in SLP
> 9.0. If 9.1 is broken this way, I won't upgrade until 9.2 or I'll do an ftp
> upgrade.
>
> SuSE like Redhat, is probably most profitable in Enterprise versions than
> with the home user such as myself though they look at that as an avenue to
> Enterprise sales. They are right. I would recommend SuSE for any *IX
> deployment.

Well can be that they earn the major part of $$$ on enterprise versions or
rather services, but my humble guess is that "desktop" users also chip in
quite a bit. So that should be reason enough to take more care about things.

1'st of all their support database on the web
2'nd "promised" PatchCD's for x86
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/01/sata.html

Johan

> Novell buying SuSE has been a very good thing all and all.
>
> Anyway, I think SuSE is right to not provide ISO images.
>
> Just my $0.02 or maybe $0.04.
>
> Best Regards.
> --
> _/_/_/ Bob Pearson gottadoit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> _/_/_/ "You're crazy. All of you. It comes from living at the
> _/_/_/ bottom of a gravity well. The gravity pulls the blood
> _/_/_/ from your brains." - Larry Niven in "Protector".

< Previous Next >