Re: [SLE] Page layout (was Re: OOo Pdf Creator)
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:50:26 -0500
On Thursday 01 April 2004 08:31 am, John Pettigrew wrote:
> In a previous message, BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Sounds like you have not used a recent version of Scribus, John, as
> > Scribus is very good and much closer to the standard than
> > PageStream on Linux presently.
>
> I've just revisited it (1.1.5 is the latest I could find as an RPM
> for SUSE 8.2) and it's much better than when I'd last looked at it.
> However, it's still got a few fairly important problems - absence of
> Undo when editing text, for example, and poor cursor behaviour. Its
> major problem, though, is the same as before: it's slow. I guess that
> this is because it's written in Python.
>
> I'm not a huge Pagestream fan, either. It's just that it was the most
> capable layout app I'd come across for linux.
>
> John
===========

PageStream is barely even usable right now, so how can it possibly be
the most capable? Don't get me wrong, I like PgS, but it is in a very
disappointing condition for Linux. The single developer of PgS was
quite reluctant to move the program to Linux and it shows in the
condition of the program and his enthusiasm to make is as nice as it
was on the Amiga computer.

Sounds like you just don't know your way around Scribus. It's no longer
written in Python, but was originally, about 3+ years ago! The only
part that is Python now is the scripting, maybe that is what you are
thinking about? They have moved all of the code over to C++ to work
much better in QT. The last slow version I saw was back about 0.98, so
I'm not sure what you are seeing on your machine. I haven't seen
anyone complain about slowness on the Scribus mail list for quite some
time and there is a variety of Linux distros represented there. Part
of your problem could be from an older QT or KDE or both. You might
try compiling your own for your system.

Cursor problems were there, but are gone now, again this might be a QT
problem on your system. The text could also be a QT problem and the
Story Editor (builtin text editor) is probably what you are not finding
for text also, with the undo, you mention is missing. Just sounds like
your lack of knowledge of the program and older system for the most
part. Another good reason to update your SuSE! :o)

If you have questions about using it, by all means, join the email list
or drop by the IRC channel for further clarification or to increase
your knowledge of the program. (irc.freenode.net, #scribus)

Lee
Registered Linux User #225206
On any other day, that might seem strange...