Re: [SLE] files to change PATH
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 00:02:36 +0100
On Wednesday 24 March 2004 23:59, James Knott wrote:
> Johan wrote:
> > Hi Anders,
> > Most kind of you to reply..../etc/profile.local does not exist on my
> > system....I will just create it. Thanks
> > Johan
>
> Actually, the file you want is /etc/profile, not profile.local. I
> suspect that may be why /etc/profile.local doesn't exist.

Actually, it's not. /etc/profile quite clearly states

# PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE /etc/profile. There are chances that your changes
# will be lost during system upgrades. Instead use /etc/profile.local for
# your local settings, favourite global aliases, VISUAL and EDITOR
# variables, etc ...

The reason it doesn't exist is that it is explicitly intended for local admins
to use. If the local admin doesn't create it, it doesn't exist.