Re: [SLE] Second SuSE HDD No Access
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:38:20 +0100 (CET)

The Sunday 2004-03-21 at 21:47 -0500, Dr. David M. Colburn wrote:

> I have just tried to boot from the Maxtor (SuSE 9 Pro load on
> an old PC) and it dumps me to a Bash or Bash-like prompt -- but
> I get errors when I try to load KDE.

That's probably the grub console, and it is expecting you to input
commands to do a manual boot. Read grub's manual.

> What is the most common short list of reasons, please, that
> moving a HDD from an older K2 box to a new Athlon box might
> cause SuSE/KDE to fail to boot properly when it had been
> working fine?

If the disk is in the same position (same device name) it should normally
boot - except if the kernel is for a diferent processor, and also, the
video card is different.

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson