Re: [SLE] Proof Me Please (Samba)
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 17:08:52 -0900
On Sunday 21 March 2004 03:47, Kelly Fulks wrote:
> There are other advantages than spreading MS FUD.  A DC will allow you
> to do logon scripts for your users (when using Pro versions of MS
> products) which is nice to force things to happen on their workstations
> (like mounting certain shares as a specific drive name aka net use
> command, or setting the time automagically aka net time command).  In
> certain environments, you can also use it to enforce certain policies
> for you.  You have additional options for authentication as well when
> you have a DC that is properly functioning.  This will prevent the
> constantly popping up login boxes on Pro versions of MS products when
> using multiple servers.

True, those are things that DC's allow you to do, but I do them
all without a DC as well, even the logging into multiple servers.
And the scripts to do so are all centrally managed. All I need
is one persistant mapping to work and the rest is read off
the linux server.

As best I can tell roveling profiles are the only thing I can't
get without a DC. I've not needed these since my Netware
days and seldom used them even then.

--
John Andersen