Re: [SLE] Proof Me Please (Samba)
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 17:48:52 -0900
On Friday 19 March 2004 08:22, Scott Wrobel wrote:

> I am not having any problems with the workgroup, i am having problems with
> setting up a domain for windows to log into.

Ah, well maybe it was machine names with spaces...

I've been running Samba on about 5 sites for well in excess of
5 years (yeah, even before it was ready for prime time).

The sites include medium size offices full of windows junkies
and I run samba as the server in all of these. To date I've never
found an excuse to set up a domain controller. Basically I think
DCs are made for really big organizations or more likely just
to spread MS FUD.

I use the Linux server for everything, Mail, DNS, Time Servers,
File Server, Print server, centralized backup, and syncronizing
files between two different locations. Even a vpn or two.
But never a DC. I must lead a sheltered life... ;-)

--
John Andersen