Re: [SLE] Lost my password
  • From: Dylan <dylan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:42:27 +0000
On Thursday 18 Mar 2004 18:30 pm, Keith Powell wrote:
> For some unknown reason, my "user" password appears to have got
> corrupted.
<SNIP>
> How can I change my password without knowing what it is?

Log in as root and use yast>security and users>edit user settings to
change your user password.

> I have thought of creating a new user (say, keith2) and then moving
> all my settings and files to the new user, deleting the original user
> and then changing "keith2" to "keith". It's long winded, and I am not
> certain it would work.

It wouldn't be quite that easy as you have user permissions to consider,
and anyway it's not necessary as root can change anyone's password.

> My user password must be in a file, somewhere. If so, as root, I
> could probably edit it to what it should be.

It's only stored in an encrypted file (/etc/shadow) which you shouldn't
edit directly.

HTH
Dylan

                                  -Benjamin Franklin