Lost my password
  • From: Keith Powell <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:30:30 +0000
For some unknown reason, my "user" password appears to have got corrupted.

If I enter it in KDM, I get "Login failed".

I have tried changing myself to "Password-less login" in the Login Manager,
and I have also tried "Automatic login". But without success. The screen goes
blank, as if it is going to start KDE, gnome, ETC, and then KDM appears
again. There's only me as a user.

"Root" is OK.

How can I change my password without knowing what it is?

I have thought of creating a new user (say, keith2) and then moving all my
settings and files to the new user, deleting the original user and then
changing "keith2" to "keith". It's long winded, and I am not certain it would
work.

My user password must be in a file, somewhere. If so, as root, I could
probably edit it to what it should be.

Any advice will be greatfully received.

Many thanks

Keith