Re: [SLE] How can I capture an MP3 stream off the net???
  • From: user86 <user86@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 15:49:05 -0500
On Monday 08 March 2004 15:35, Tom Nielsen wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 12:29, user86 wrote:
> > On Monday 08 March 2004 12:13, Tom Nielsen wrote:
> > > There's a website I like that steams Baroque music off Shoutcast.com.
> > > I'd like to capture some of the stream so that I can transfer it to my
> > > mp3 player.
> > >
> > > What program can I use to capture the stream in an mp3 format?
> >
> > MPlayer!
> >
> > mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile stream.mp3 http://stream.site.com/stream
>
> How would this work on a shoutcast stream?

I'll be using the second hit on shoutcast for "Baroque" in my example.

First, you need the stream's URL, which for shoutcast streams is normal HTTP.
When you click "Tune In" you are sent a playlist file. Inside that playlist
file (which is just plain text) is the streamer's URLs, as an example, the
second one on the list as I am typing has a stream url of:
http://218.255.18.151:8002

So to grab the stream with mplayer, you open up a terminal or console window
then type this:

mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile stream.mp3 http://218.255.18.151:8002

After a minute or so (to capture a minute of audio from the stream), hit CTRL
C to stop saving the streamed capture. Now you have a "stream.mp3" file
which is fully playable in your mp3 player which is just 1 minute of audio
captured from the stream.

Once you are sure that works, you could run mplayer longer to capture more of
a stream.