Re: [SLE] Re: Re: NVIDIA once again
  • From: Matthew Johnson <stargoat@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 23:38:41 -0800
On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 08:06, Sid Boyce wrote:
> John Pettigrew wrote:

> >>Do the proper install for 8.2 may help. Did you perchance do "sh
> >>nvidia-installer###.sh --extract-only"? This is fine for 8.1 where the newer
> >>installer does not work.
> >>

> >Nope (and, in any case, the 8.1 advice is to use the rpm version):
> >
> >init 3
> >sh NVIDIA****.run
> >
> >The installer then runs automatically and I select the "compile a module"
> >option because there is none available from NVIDIA's website. This apparently
> >builds successfully and the installer quits.
> >
> >Attempting to run sax2 after this (using e.g. the recommended 'sax2 -m
> >0=nvidia') causes the crash, as (IIRC) did going to runlevel 5 after using
> >switch2nvidia instead of sax2. Given the nasty consequences of this problem,
> >I'm not that keen on trying lots of different things out unless I'm reasonably
> >sure they'll work.
> >
> >John
> >

> sax2 isn't necessary and doesn't run, you only needed the switch2nvidia
> or replace Driver "nv" with Driver "nvidia" in /etc/X11/XF86Config. The
> README file for the latest driver does not mention sax2, it was
> mentioned with older drivers, so it pays to read and heed the
> instructions for each driver, that covers the "unless I'm reasonably
> sure they'll work" end of the business.
> Regards
> Sid.

Yep, never used Sax2 on SuSE 8.2 either. Manually edited
/etc/X11/XF86Config and placed in nvidia just as Sid mentioned. By the
way you mentioned switch2nvidia was that just it? or did you mean
switch2nvidia_glx? Also 3Ddiag is worth running, it checks to make sure
everything is set right with libraries etc.

How is this going anyway John?

Matt