Re: [SLE] Have you seen this?
  • From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_suse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 16:12:41 -0700
On Saturday 06 March 2004 16:37, Tom Nielsen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It's been rather fun watching all this, but I feel a need to add
> something as a person that has been correct about TOFU several times.
> Ya, I know I shouldn't top post, but there are times I forget. The
<snip>

Jumping in (which is also a 'not nice' thing) ...

Neither Top nor Bottom posting is good or acceptable. The ONLY good way to
handle replies is to make reference to the post and point to which one is
replying and to eliminate unnecessary information.

The single most significant problem with Top Posting is simple - invariably a
top-poster does not remove the original, thereby wasting everyone's time and
bandwidth.

The single most significant problem with bottom posting is simple - usually a
bottom-poster does not remove the original, thereby wasting everyone's time
and bandwidth.

The purpose of encouraging bottom-posting is usually to encourage the poster
to eliminate the redundant or irrelevant information in the source and to
isolate only the relevant references to which the poster is replying.

To those who top-post - please stop being lazy and eliminate irrelevant
garbage. (Pretty please!)

To those who purely bottom-post - please stop being lazy and eliminate
irrelevant garbage. (Pretty please!)

To those who selectively snip and leave only relevant pieces to help set the
context of the reply - thank you

/Hans
(how's that for an opinion? <bg>)