Re: [SLE] Re: Re: NVIDIA once again
  • From: Sid Boyce <sboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 16:06:04 +0000
John Pettigrew wrote:

In a previous message, Matthew Johnson <stargoat@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 06:08, John Pettigrew wrote:

However, trying to use this driver in any way (e.g. running sax2 or
starting an X session) caused the screen to corrupt (a few blue lines in
the bottom inch of the screen) and the computer to crash terminally

Do the proper install for 8.2 may help. Did you perchance do "sh
nvidia-installer###.sh --extract-only"? This is fine for 8.1 where the newer
installer does not work.

Nope (and, in any case, the 8.1 advice is to use the rpm version):

init 3
sh NVIDIA****.run

The installer then runs automatically and I select the "compile a module"
option because there is none available from NVIDIA's website. This apparently
builds successfully and the installer quits.

Attempting to run sax2 after this (using e.g. the recommended 'sax2 -m
0=nvidia') causes the crash, as (IIRC) did going to runlevel 5 after using
switch2nvidia instead of sax2. Given the nasty consequences of this problem,
I'm not that keen on trying lots of different things out unless I'm reasonably
sure they'll work.

John

sax2 isn't necessary and doesn't run, you only needed the switch2nvidia or replace Driver "nv" with Driver "nvidia" in /etc/X11/XF86Config. The README file for the latest driver does not mention sax2, it was mentioned with older drivers, so it pays to read and heed the instructions for each driver, that covers the "unless I'm reasonably sure they'll work" end of the business.
Regards
Sid.

--
Sid Boyce .... Hamradio G3VBV and keen Flyer
Linux Only Shop.