Re: [SLE] What are the stats on hyperthreading? I may need a Mobo.
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 21:36:49 -0500
On Thursday 04 March 2004 04:38 pm, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> I'm trying to decide if buying a new mother board is worth the
> hassle. I learned earlier today that the Intel motherboard that my
> Intel CPU came on is one rev off from supporting hyperthreading. All
> I need is support for 2 512MB dimms, IDE, AGP, USB, PCI, and, of
> course, hyperthreading. I don't want on-board sound or ethernet. It
> just gets in the way.
>
> How much difference with HT make? Anybody have any benchmark info?
> I know, I just said yesterday on the programming list that I don't
> trust benchmarks. But they might at least give a hint. I do
> sometimes use stuff like Mathematica, Java3D, POVRay, etc., which are
> likely to be affected by hyperthreading. I also suspect my compiles
> will go faster. I'm just wondering how much. Everytime I pull the
> chip of the motherboard, or do anything else with the hardware, I run
> the risk of destroying it. I've been working with electronics since
> 1974. I know what I'm doing, but that doesn't mean I can't break
> something.
>
> Does anybody know if, and how outer CPU bus speed is reported by
> hwinfo? What's it called, if it is in the hwinfo? I don't see it
> there. Is there another method of probing the chip to get different
> info?
>
> STH
***************

Steven,
If you are wanting better performance, actually doing two things at
once, then go for a dual cpu motherboard. If you are just wanting
speedups, then go for the Opteron/Athlon64 cpu. Hyperthreading was
just another gimmick Intel tried to use for an already bad cpu, the
Pentium IV.

Lee
--
--- KMail v1.6 --- SuSE Linux Pro v9.0 ---
Registered Linux User #225206