What are the stats on hyperthreading? I may need a Mobo.
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 16:38:50 -0500

I'm trying to decide if buying a new mother board is worth the hassle. I
learned earlier today that the Intel motherboard that my Intel CPU came on is
one rev off from supporting hyperthreading. All I need is support for 2
512MB dimms, IDE, AGP, USB, PCI, and, of course, hyperthreading. I don't
want on-board sound or ethernet. It just gets in the way.

How much difference with HT make? Anybody have any benchmark info? I know, I
just said yesterday on the programming list that I don't trust benchmarks.
But they might at least give a hint. I do sometimes use stuff like
Mathematica, Java3D, POVRay, etc., which are likely to be affected by
hyperthreading. I also suspect my compiles will go faster. I'm just
wondering how much. Everytime I pull the chip of the motherboard, or do
anything else with the hardware, I run the risk of destroying it. I've been
working with electronics since 1974. I know what I'm doing, but that doesn't
mean I can't break something.

Does anybody know if, and how outer CPU bus speed is reported by hwinfo?
What's it called, if it is in the hwinfo? I don't see it there. Is there
another method of probing the chip to get different info?

STH