Re: [SLE] Local and Remote Display Managers and Sessions
  • From: "Terje J. Hanssen" <nteknikk@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:21:33 +0100
Örn Hansen skrev:

måndag 23 februari 2004 23:12 skrev Terje J. Hanssen:

What is the vt_number and what is the purpose of it? Is it SuSE/KDE
thing, as I haven't seen it used for Unix/Linux/X in general?
I think I read some place that vt07 is used for the standard console X
display :0 but cannot find where it was. That is, is there a
relationship between the X :display_sequence_number and the vt_number?
Is two vt_numbers used for each X server as you use X :2 - vt09 and X :3
- vt11? What is your third CDE session, eg X :4 - vt13 or ?

Virtual consoles, is a thingie that dates back to Xenix. Linux specifies
the first 6 consoles, virtual ttys and you can switch between these on your
console with Alt-F1-F6, just as you did with Xenix. However, XFree
implementation requires a bound terminal for Input, and it is bound to the
first "free" virtual terminal, which is no. 7, and then the next X will be 8, and so forth.

Good to have the Linux's and XFree's historical roots in place :-)

If I have understood things right, starting X without use of vt_no will
work as well. Starting additional X servers in addition to the default,
can be selected with Ctrl(?)-Alt-F8, -F9 and so further.
With vt-no it is possible to "bind" the Xservers to the prefered F-keys
beyond this order, right?

Terje

< Previous Next >